Medicare Is Now Accepted At Most Locations

Where change begins.

Can I Check Someone Else Into Opioid Rehab or Treatment?

by General Marketing

If you have a loved one with opioid addiction, you want to help them in whatever way you can. Many people who know someone who misuses opioids wonder if they can check their loved one into a treatment center, especially if they face resistance from the person or don’t know how else to assist.

You may or may not have the legal right to enter your friend or loved one into treatment. Learn more about the ways you can help someone with opioid addiction.

In What Situations Can I Check a Loved One Into Rehab?

You can enter another person into opioid use disorder treatment in two primary cases. Certain states have civil commitment laws that allow you to request a court order for treatment. If your child under 18 years old has an opioid addiction, you can also check them into a treatment center as their legal guardian.

  • Civil commitment: Every state has different civil commitment laws for substance use disorders, which have varying levels of enforcement and minimum commitment lengths. However, their effectiveness is not fully known. Civil commitment may help in situations involving immediate danger to the person, but it could also put an emotional strain on the person and damage their trust of others. Someone’s willingness to get help has a major role to play in treatment effectiveness, which could explain civil commitment’s mixed results.
  • Entering a child into treatment: When a teenager has an opioid use disorder, their parent or guardian can enter them into treatment. However, if you have a child 18 years old or older, they must choose to get help on their own. You have many factors to consider when entering your teenager into treatment. Consulting an addiction professional can give you the guidance needed to make a decision.

What Can I Do If I Can’t Put Them in Treatment?

In most cases, you can’t force someone to pursue treatment. While some people try to support their friend or loved one by holding an intervention, no evidence is available to show their effectiveness, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

If your loved one wants to get treatment but feels afraid, you can provide support and help them look for treatment centers. If they refuse to get treatment, you can help them by looking out for their physical and emotional well-being.

How Do I Support My Loved One With Opioid Use Disorder?

Whether or not the person you care about decides to get treatment, you can help them as they undergo this difficult period. The University of Utah School of Medicine stresses taking care of yourself first. They also recommend consulting a professional when you have to make tough decisions.

Learn About Treatment Services From HCRC

If you want to help a loved one recover from opioid addiction, our team can help. We welcome you to contact us online today to learn about the services available at Health Care Resource Centers. Our staff can also refer you to other services and resources that can help you support the person you care about.

Medically Reviewed By:

Health Care Resource Centers Clinical Team

Health Care Resource Centers Clinical Team

Health Care Resource Centers Clinical Team

The Clinical Team at Health Care Resource Centers is our team of physicians and medical directors within the organization. HCRC is a CARF accredited organization and has been providing addiction treatment services for over 32 years in the New England area.

The Latest From Our Blog

We're Here to Help
Contact us today.

Have you completed the re-enrollment process for Medicaid? To prevent a gap in your coverage, it may be necessary to update your information or re-enroll.Your State's Medicaid Redetermination Process